Wednesday, April 25, 2007

True European Style Basketball

Did anyone else catch this? As a basketball fan I realize that the NBA has flourished during Stern's reign, but I'm not really a big fan of his and this is just another thing I disagree with him on.

I do think that basketball is a popular enough game world-wide that this would work financially for the new teams. But for this to work out schedule-wise, at least three of the teams are going to have to come into the league at the same time. This way, it would be like the Texas trifecta part of every team's schedule, but in Europe. Adding that many teams at one time is going to have a serious effect on the NBA's talent pool.

I also don't imagine that the current teams are going to be very happy with the increase in travel costs and difficulty. I'm sure they can afford it, but there's going to be a lot of complaining. Then there is the time zone problem. A 7 pm game in London or Madrid would be televised in the US at 1 pm central time. Not exactly prime time.

I think a good theory for any professional sports commissioner is to do exactly the opposite of what the MLB would do. And adding five teams within the next 20 years sounds a lot like baseball adding four teams between 1993 and 1998.

I don't think this is an awful idea. If done correctly, the NBA will become the model professional sports league. But I think it has to be done gradually, and I don't see how that is possible.

2 comments:

Education Esquire said...

It's hard to fault something that actually has credibility and validity to it.

NBA Teams are International icons, why not have NBA Teams that are International beyond North America? I'm certain that the increased revenues from the supplemental markets within Europe would more than offset the increase in costs for the NBA teams.

Also, one thing to pay attention to is how Stern promised 5 teams in 20 years. 20 years is a long time as far as the advancement of technology and transportation.

I feel that as a country, America has done everything in its powers to stave off becoming a global community. Aside from NAFTA which is solely an economic advancement for the US of A there's no kind of global reach out efforts that aren't somehow done to simply reaffirm the empire.

Stern wants to get paid, and have the Association as paid as possible. However, by expanding to Europe, he's creating a commonality between two continents, something which right now doesn't exist.

Imagine going to a Lakers away game in France, or imagine the kind of reception that International players will get in their home countries. This is a step in the direction of the inevitable empire of the United World of America, and it's truly awe-inspiring to be a part of it, and realize that something as subtle as sports can impact such a transition.

2006 World Series Champion said...

I'm not arguing it's not a good idea. I just don't understand how it's going to work out talent-wise. Adding too many teams is definitely going to hurt the talent level of the league. I believe baseball is suffering from that right now.

As for as money and travel you make excellent points and I agree with you. Stern has marketed the game and it's superstars well, so I financially I have no doubt it will work out. I still think some owners are going to complain.

And the TV issue may not be the most important, but it is going to be a problem. In 2020 are we going to be watching the Lakers v Madrid NBA finals game at 1pm on Wednesday? That's not the most appealing time slot and it's going to have a financial impact.