Monday, May 14, 2007

BD and Me

As I'm sure everyone else does, I've recently completed my yearly audit of basketball likes and dislikes. This year I have an exciting new addition to my "Favorite Current Players" list.

1. Steve Nash
Most entertaining player in the league, no arguments accepted. Also, I'm waiting for him to rip into Dirk and say that Nowitzki stole this year's MVP from him.

2. Amare Stoudemire
Most talented young big man in the league. Unlike Dwight Howard, he can shoot and he's almost as athletic.

3. Shawn Marion
Gave the greatest interview of the year to ESPN the Magazine for this story. When asked if he'd rather be a 30 ppg scorer or be a sidekick on the Suns, he said he'd have to think about it. I guess he missed Joe Johnson's last two years with the Hawks (combined record, 56-108).

4. Pat Burke
The Suns were 19-4 in games Pat Burke played in this year. League's most underrated player? I think so.

5. Baron Davis
Regardless of whether the Spurs or Pistons win this year's championship, all I'm going to remember is Baron Davis. He hit an incredible half-court shot. He made an incredible layup. Oh yeah, then there's one of the top 5 in-game dunks of all time. The only thing that could have made that dunk better is if he celebrated by lifting his shirt and inexplicably showing his man chest. Awesome.

If Davis stays with Don Nelson for a couple more years and manages to remain healthy, we'll be talking about him in 30 years like people talk about Pete Maravich now. There is no way Davis will ever win a championship, but man is he fun to watch. And as every Suns fan knows, that's what's really important.

1 comment:

Education Esquire said...

1. Steve Nash

The guy can't even dunk a basketball! There's no way in this league of Superstar talent am I going to allow you to utter such blaphemous words. Perhaps after he rips Dirk for stealing his alleged MVP this season, he'll put in a call to KB24 and apologize for doing the same to him two seasons ago.

2. Amare Stoudemire

Just like Dwight Howard he couldn't shoot the rock after his second season. Lest we forget that Amare endured an entire season of oblivion, and as a result he was provided the opportunity to work on a jump shot that is the result of the inability to do what Dwight (and he as well) does. Compare Dwight to Amare after two seasons and I'll take Dwight all day, especially considering that he doesn't play with an MVP caliber point guard!

3. Shawn Marion

I think he did miss Joe Johnson's last two years with the Hawks, but he did catch the Finals during that stretch from the same location (the crib) both years (they're toast tomorrow night just in case you didn't pick up on the insinuation) so perhaps it would make more sense to give a little more thought to actually having some respectability for yet being a loser in this remarkable league!

4. Pat Burke

I'm sorry I don't speak mop up player language so you'll have to forgive me on this.

5. Baron Davis

Unequivocally the best point guard not named Kidd, Nash or Parker. However when it's all said and done he'll have eclipsed all three of them because unlike the aforementioned three pg's he's going to win a championship and be named the finals MVP assuring that his legacy was created on the merits of his remarkable talent.

I imagine that fifteen years from now we'll be discussing Baron Davis similarly to how we discuss Isiah Thomas (at least his playing days).