This Kobe thing is crazy. I hate to say never, but I NEVER thought this would happen. Even after hearing all these reports, I still am having trouble accepting it as truth.
First, regardless of what Kobe says, it is next to impossible to trade someone of his caliber. There's the salary issue and the fact that there's no way the Lakers are going to get someone of equal value, unless it's two star players or three All-Star players.
This is also eerily similar to the Garnett and Iverson situations. Garnett has been rumored to be traded for a couple of years now, and as far as we know that's nothing but talk. Iverson was the same thing, and he wasn't traded until he 31 years old and arguably at the end of his prime. Kobe is in the MIDDLE of his prime, leading the league in scoring two years running and single-handily taking an awful Lakers team to the playoffs two years in a row.
I'm just having trouble believing that Kobe asks for a trade and before the start of next season he's with another team. History tells us it's not that easy. I can't think of any player on Kobe's level that was traded in his prime. Kareem was traded when he was 27, but that was 30 years ago and I think that a Kobe trade would be an even bigger deal.
I also can't believe that the Lakers are going to go from a team led by future Hall of Famers Shaq and Kobe to a team three years later being led by Lamar Odom and whoever they get for Kobe. That's not bad management, that's unbelievably bad management.
I hear what Kobe's saying, but I'm having a hard time seeing it.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I don't see Kobe being traded either even though I think the Lakers might be better off without Kobe from a basketball standpoint. They have done nothing but make bad moves and I think the best thing for them to do would be to start fresh.
But with all those expensive tickets to sell and a coach like Phil Jackson, I can't see the Lakers making this trade. I don't think the Lakers are a good organization because they have angered two of the best players in the NBA right now.
After chatting with Kobe for several hours, it's unequivocally true that he's ready to fly northeast.
He's been saying it for years, and now he's had enough, HE DID NOT FORCE DR. BUSS TO TRADE SHAQ, and he's tired of defending that defamatory rumor.
In addition to that, Los Angeles didn't do enough to nab Jason Kidd when he was available, and as a result Kobe found out just how committed Dr. Buss and company are willing to go to win a championship, (not very far as we all can see).
Thanks to Kobe, the Lakers are a top NBA draw, however if you take Kobe out, they're a Bobcat-esque draw. Thus, Kobe deserves the opportunity and respect of not being sacrificed up to the media by a "INSIDER". More importantly, whoever that "INSIDER" is, needs to come clean and acknowledge that she or he is not telling the truth.
Finally, there are several scenarios that are more than plausible for trades, even considering the remarkable talent of KB24. Let's consider a few.
1st -- The Chicago Bulls.
The Baby Bulls have a myriad of talent, and when one considers the star potential of Luol Deng, even Mr. Paxson could orchestrate a trade that Dr. Buss would approve of.
2nd -- The New York Knicks.
Although Zeke is anything but a savvy coach or General Manager, he does have a stable of talent that seemingly is always enticing to potential shoppers. Don't count out a blockbuster five players for one swap here.
3rd -- The Dallas Maverics.
Mark Cuban has never hesitated to spend money to have a shot at a title, he's made it known since he started as the owner of Dallas, and nothing would help mend his heart from the embarassing loss to Golden State more than acquiring the leagues Most Valuable Player.
The list goes on, and on, and on, because when the most exciting player in the league is looking to hit the eject button, every franchise in the league looks to open up their pocketbooks and landing pads for that kind of potential!
That was quick. Kobe isn't going anywhere, now the Lakers are "his team." Great list Mario, but that's all wishful thinking. At least you'll get to see your boy in the first round of the playoffs again next before getting bounced by some well-managed team. Bobcats-esque draw is a bit extreme, isn't it? The Lakers have a much larger market and a bit more tradition.
And Jerome, did you call Shaq one of the best players in the NBA right now???? He's one of the greatest of all time, but at this point he isn't even an All-Star. And the Lakers made a decent trade when they gave up Shaq, the problem was trading Caron for Kwame.
Post a Comment